Primum non nocere

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Thought's while going to the gym.

It's been really cold here in Alaska.  I know it's suppose to be cold in Alaska  in the winter, but this winter has been especially cold for Anchorage.  After being cooped because it was absolutely no fun to go outside and hike, or do anything, my fiance and I joined a gym fairly close to our new house.  It's a little expensive but for what we get it's not a bad deal.  

And I pledged that I would try to go to the gym at least 5 times a week.  So far so good.  It helps that the gym is on my way home from work so I stop there before heading home and getting too comfortable on the couch.

What strikes me funny is the lazy things people do while going to the gym.   They drive around looking for a spot closer to the front door.  Now this gym is big.  I mean really big.  Full size swimming pool, indoor tennis courts, basketball court racquetball, you name it and there are parking lots on either side of the main building but nothing really close to the front door, save for the handicapped parking.  I have decided to take the spot farthest away, I'm not being self-righteous here, the spots always empty so I don't have to search for that spot 5 feet closer to the front door.  I'm sure these are the same people that roam around the Wal-Mart parking lot looking for that space 2 spaces closer than the last one they just saw and who can't seem to take the extra 30 seconds and put their shopping cart in the cart return.  Just seems lazy.  Why go to the gym and try to get the closest parking spot possible so you don't have to walk as far?  Isn't the point of being here to exercise?

I like the gym, even though it's huge.  The staff is friendly and the amenities are great.  I think the one thing that creeps me out the most though is how much the old men in the locker room like to walk around naked.  Now I did high school sports I've been in a locker room before and I've showered with guys before, but these men seem to revel in it.  Maybe their wives won't let them walk around naked so this is there time, but it's a little unnerving.  And you try not to stare, but there is no modesty here at all.  And dude I don't want to talk to you when your naked.   I just can't get the picture of old balls out of my head.  Yuck.

And the one thing that I find kinda funny is that they have a little cafe that serves burgers and fries.  Oh and smoothies. 

On a totally different note.  The last Samurai mushroom comic I posted is the last one I have scanned in right now so until I get back on track it'll be a few days till I can get another one up.

cheers
cb

No comments:

Post a Comment