Primum non nocere

Friday, October 21, 2011

Stoopid.

While I've been slowly changing this blog over to my studio blog, I still reserve the right to rant.  I was going to post about how the world didn't end, Again! Dammit Camping.  I was also reading a story about Ben and Jerry's new ice cream flavor Schweddy Balls.  If you watch any SNL you know it's a homage to Alec Baldwins reoccurring skit.  And how the action group One Million Mom's is trying to get this flavor axed from supermarkets.  Ah to live in a country where you have enough free time to care.  I find it kinda funny that OMM is taking on this cause because it doesn't really fit there mission statement.


From there website:
"Our goal is to stop the exploitation of our children, especially by the entertainment media (TV, music, movies, etc.). Mom, OneMillionMoms.com is the most powerful tool you have to stand against the immorality, violence, vulgarity and profanity the entertainment media is throwing at your children. It is time to fight back!"


I guess I'm ignorant as to how Ben and Jerry's is exploiting children by using a play on words from a SNL skit.  It struck me that lots of OMM's causes are pretty banal and some are down right racist and homophobic.  So that got me thinking of all the other organizations that have had seemingly humble and worthwhile origins and due either their own success or lack of anything better to bitch about jump their own shark.  I'm talking about groups like PETA, MADD, and OMM.  Where their initial message and mission statement isn't all that bad.  I mean when you read the above purpose statement from OMM's own website you can say well good for you, but when you look at what they are actually targeting and protesting you kinda have to take a step back whoa.  I get that OMM is a Christian based mob.  So racism and homophobia is standard fair, but playing off peoples fears and insecurities is almost as bad as a lot of the stuff they pretend to care about.


So here at the Tenets I'm starting a list of the Stoopid.  People and organizations that are dumb. 


Welcome Harold Camping and One Million Moms.  You get the label as Stoopid.  And yes I realize that Stupid is spelled wrong. 


Do yourself a favor and go read a banned book, think outside the box, and live your life while not trying to tell others how to live theirs. 


Alright enough ranting.  Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment