Primum non nocere - suum cuique

Thursday, November 4, 2021

The Anchorage Rocks Project - Part 1 (Rocks 1 and 2)

 I think rock painting has been a thing forever. It's one of those things that I see and think, that looks like fun.  I did a little digging on Facebook and there's a page called Anchorage Rocks and it's a communal and community art project.  I like that.  I liked that a lot.  

So having worked with the Anchorage Parks department in the past I know that Anchorage has over 200 parks!! A lot of these are small pocket neighborhood parks.  But I decided to set a lofty goal of trying to hide at least one rock art project in each park and probably a couple state parks as well.  

I was down in Homer about a month ago for work and ended up at the end of the Homer Spit and picked up 3 very nice rocks to try my hand at rock art.  

I decided to fall back on what I know and wanted to do a black and white (pen and ink) style for the first couple.


This was my first attempt.  I'm pretty impressed with the way it turned out. My wife was also impressed and quickly called dibs on it.  

So I decided to do another octopus.

And of course I needed to put the post a photo blurb on the back.

And for my last rock I decided on an anglerfish.  




As part of my project I'm going to keep track of the rock by numbering them.
On my walk tonight I dropped this one off at the pocket park near my house. I was out walking the dog and found the perfect spot, but wouldn't you know it there was already a rock in the spot (I left it there for someone else to find).  I'm planning on trying to keep a running total here on the blog and also keep track of the parks I've hidden rocks in.  

Materials: Rocks from the shores of Kachemak Bay off the Homer Spit.  
Background color: Krylon Satin White
Line work: Artistro Extra Fine Tip Acrylic Paint Pens
Sealer: Krylon Clear Semi Gloss Acrylic.



No comments:

Post a Comment